Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

Sad day for LPS

Some of Katie's favorite toys were the Littlest Pet Shop (LPS) figures.  For those of you who don't know, they are 2" tall bobble head animals.  They have bikes, skate boards, homes complete with kitchens, bathrooms, even laundry.  You name it, LPS has it.

One of Katie's favorite birthday toys one year was a LPS hamster.  She took that hamster with her everywhere.  It was pulled out of her pocket before it went through the wash several times, and even had a few spins in the washing machine unintentionally.  She loved that little hamster and took great care of it until one unfortunate day.

After school one day I walked past Katie's room and I heard her and Erik holding a funeral.  Poor LPS hamster had died.  They held a nice service and buried the little guy under a pile of clothes.

When they were finished I asked Katie what happened.  She informed me that when she checked on him after getting home from school she found him dead.  What?  That was the healthiest, most loved little plastic hamster I'd ever know.  How could he have died?  Katie informed me that her hamster had starved to death.

Now, this little hamster had come in the package complete with a little food bowl, a box of miniature plastic hamster food and miniature plastic hamster treats.  I thought there was no reason he should have starved.  I thought wrong.

I asked Katie how could he have starved to death, after all he did come with food.  "Oh, that isn't what he eats." she told me.  Now I was confused.  What does a miniature plastic hamster eat if it is not miniature plastic hamster food?

Katie gave me a look of disbelief when I asked her that question.  How could anyone not realize how just plain silly that sounded.  Of course the LPS hamster didn't eat the food that came with it.  That was food for one of the other LPS animals.  But I didn't need to tell you that, did I?  I'm sure I am the only person who didn't realize something so obvious.

"So what was he supposed to eat?"  I ask Katie.  Then, with a look of utter dismay she tells me "He ate chili, mom."  Chili, how could I not know that?  I mean, come on, isn't it common knowledge that  miniature plastic hamster figures eat chili rather than miniature plastic hamster food.  How did I manage to reach adulthood without ever learning such an important kernel of information?

Luckily, a few days latter the little hamster was resurrected, only to be saved from the brink of danger posed by the washing machine.  Upon the realization that the little guy was once again alive and well I had Katie help me make chili for dinner that evening.  Now, whenever her little friend gets hungry she knows how to prepare his meals.

1 comment:

Amy Nowell said...

Thanks such a cute story thanks for sharing