Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Can't get a band-aid to stick there

Those of you with kids can relate to the power held in a band-aid.  It just a little bit of tape with a gauze square attached but it has the power to heal almost any wound, whether visible or not.

You also know, if you have more than one child, about the fighting.  Just the act of breathing in the same room with a sibling is enough sometimes to start a war.  Those of you who don't have kids would never believe how early this fighting can begin.  If they can walk and talk, they can fight.

One afternoon the kids were out playing in the backyard.  Katie in the sandbox and Erik on the slide.  They were playing nicely, most likely because they were not playing together.  The phone rang so checking that the kids were okay I ran in the house to grab it.

A few minutes after I went in to the house I was just finishing up the phone call.  That is when I heard it.  The blood curdling scream that is usually followed by a trip to the ER.  I hang up the phone and run out the door, expecting to see a pool of blood, a broken bone, something that would indicate a major injury requiring medical treatment.

As I scan the backyard I see Erik still playing on the slide and Katie climbing up the hill to the back door.  Katie's face was red, indignant and streaked with tears, Erik looked a little worried but otherwise fine.  Seeing no sign of major injury I calmed my nerves and asked Katie what happened.

After a few heaving sobs she caught her breath enough to tell me what happened.  "E..Er....Erik (huge breath),  Erik h.hh..hhh..hurt m..mmm.mm.me.  Erik hurt me"  Okay, we are getting somewhere.  "How did he hurt you?" 

At that time I expected her to show me her finger, point to somewhere on her arm, show me somewhere on her body where she had been hit, tripped, pinched or somehow subject to injury from typical brother/sister rivalry.  But she said something that warmed my heart and made me laugh all at the same time.

She settled herself down a little and exclaimed "He hurt mee!"  "Where did he hurt you?"  "ON MY FEELINGS!!!!" Katie exclaims, starting off another round of crying.

Now, even the magical healing power of band-aids have their limit.  No matter how hard you try you can not get a band-aid to stick to your feelings.  I guess the only way to heal such a devastating injury is with time. 

No comments: