Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2012

A great gas

Katie has many talents.  One of those she is the most proud is her ability to pass gas.  The noise and smell, she has it all.  Here is one little girl who could hold her own against any beer drinking, chili eating frat boy you would ever meet.  And she would so so without shame.

It is not a normal thing you would expect for such a little bundle.  My husband would be holding her and feel that familiar rumble on his forearm.  Looking at her he'd ask "What was that?".  Such a simple question, yet it would result in a round of giggles that would force out more 'bubbles' from our very bubbly little girl.

As she grew up I tried my best to teach her the socially appropriate response to an accidental slip "Excuse me".  However when it is not accidental is it really proper to offer a social apology?  Apparently for Katie it is not.  As a result, her normal response to the not-so-accidental passing of gas came compliments of her dad.  "What was that?"  she'd exclaim, midst giggles and gasses.

As she grew her awareness of different responses to the passage of gas deepened and as a result so did her post-bomb declaration.  One morning I was getting her dressed.  As she is stepping in to her pants she lets one rip.  Imagine the sound from an elephant who has consumed nothing but broccoli and beans for a week.  Now amplify that by 10 times.  That is the kind of wind that breaks from my little princess.  Amidst the normal post-pass giggles she gives a response far from socially appropriate but quite amusing.  "That one shook the walls!"  exclaimed my pint sized methane factory.

While Katie's understanding of bathroom humor grew, Erik was developing a deep love of space.  He wanted to learn everything he could about planets, stars, moons.  You name it, if it was out of this world he wanted to know about it.

We are lucky enough to live withing 30 minutes of a large telescope that is open to public viewing.  We would head out on Friday evenings to the public viewings.  The kids saw stars, star clusters, nebulae, galaxies and of course planets.  Being young kids, their favorite was the perennial Saturn.  With the rings, the moons and the ease to locate it in the night sky the kids fell in love with our neighboring giant.

During one visit to the eye doctor during this fascination with space Erik began to tell the doctor all about the planets and stars.  Impressed with the knowledge such a little person has gained about such a deep subject our eye doctor shares a little kernel of information he has about the planets.

"What is your favorite planet?" the doctor asked Erik.  "Saturn."  my little guy responds. "Did you know that Saturn is considered a gas giant?"  That last question brings a round of giggles from Katie, who is sitting on my lap.  Unsure of the reason such a question is so funny the doctor turns to her and asks "Why are you laughing?"

Now, I am prepared for just about any response that comes out of that little girl, but I'd have to say even this surprised me.  That question brought on another round of more forceful giggles (that I'm sure you'd never guess resulted in) and an answer that made us all chuckle.  "I'm a gas giant!"  Katie declared.

After that eventful appointment Katie developed a new introduction for herself.  For the next few months when meeting someone new she would respond with "I'm Katie.  I'm like Saturn, I'm a GAS GIANT!"  Yep, my demure, delicate, precious little girl was announcing to the world the depth of her great talent.

No comments: