Pages

Monday, March 26, 2012

Unexpected Quesitons

Again we will take a side trip.  A moment away from Katie and a visit with one of Erik's unmentionable moments.  Erik was 3 years old and had seen and helped change the diapers of his little sister.  As a result he was beginning to really notice differences between boys and girls.  Any parents out there have answered many of the questions these realizations can lead to.......

When Erik was just getting the knack of potty training we were driving down to Grandma and Grandpa Gillette's house for a visit.  A few hours into the trip Erik says from the backseat "I have to go potty!".  Those of you who have experienced potty training know that when you hear those words you need to find a bathroom NOW!

So, the next exit we found we turned off the highway and found a gas station.  Dave figured while we were there he'd fill up the tank and I figured that since we had stopped I'd empty my tank, too.

Erik and I get out of the car and head into the gas station.  This particular gas station happened to have the beer coolers right near the public bathroom.  This forward planning provided several gentlemen with a chuckle on one fine Saturday morning.

Erik and I head into the bathroom and Erik takes care of his business right away.  Having to go myself I get Erik started washing his hands and I sit down on the toilet.  As I am finishing up the questions start.

"Mommy, do you have a penis?" Erik asks.  "No honey, girls don't have a penis."  As I am washing my hands I can see the thoughts tumble around in that little head and I wonder what the next question will be.  I try rushing out the door so the questions can be asked in the privacy of our own vehicle but Erik foils my great plan.

As I am drying my hands Erik asks his follow up question.  "Not even a little penis?"  As I am throwing away my paper towel I answer "No honey, not even a little penis."  Hoping the questions were done I push open the bathroom door.

Now get this image in your mind, a mom and her young son walking past a VERY populated beer isle on a Saturday morning perfectly suited to a combination of yard work and beer.  Imagine you are one of those men looking to choose the perfect brew to provide refreshment after an afternoon in the sun and listen to Erik's final question.

As we are walking behind all the men in the beer isle Erik stops and turns to me.  (After all, you can't ask an important question while you are walking.  You need to have eye contact with the person you are questioning.)  Before I can get him walking again Erik asks "Mommy, does Daddy have a little penis?"  As soon as the question leaves his little mouth I see the shoulders of all the men around us shaking with laughter.

At a loss for what to say (really is there a GOOD answer???  Either way you can't really win.) I hustle Erik out to the car, red in the face and trying not to laugh at a VERY serious question.  When we get back to the car I tell Dave the story of our Gas Station Experience, and tell Erik he can ask Daddy all the questions he feels necessary.

I am sure that if one of those gentlemen making their beer selection had been having a particularly difficult day our embarrassment was able to add a little levity to their day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's funny stuff.....Nice I enjoyed.